The Nabokov Museum
47 Bolshaya Morskaya Street, St. Petersburg. This address is known to every reader of Vladimir Nabokov’s works. The future great writer, the great exile was born in this house on April 10 (Old Style), 22/23 April (New Style), 1899. Since then the house has not changed much , the house number is the same. Moreover, the original name of the street, which was changed after 1917, is now back. In his autobiographical novel "Speak, Memory" written almost fifty years after leaving the house, Vladimir Nabokov described the house and the lifestyle of his family in great detail.
Nabokov called it "the only house in the world". And we can understand it literally – Nabokov and his family never owned any house after their departure from St.Petersburg in November 1917. And although over the years much in the house was lost it still retains the look and the atmosphere of the unique home where the writer grew up and which appears not only in the autobiography but in other Nabokov’s works.
The Nabokov Museum was opened in 1998 as a non-governmental cultural institution. Since 2008 the museum is a division of the St. Petersburg State University Faculty of Philology and Arts. When the museum was first opened there were very few things in the museum collection. However, over the years the Museum has accumulated a significant collection and a large library which is always open to our visitors.
The museum occupies the first floor, where the former dining room, the drawing room and the library room have retained much of their original look. The former "committee" room where the original interior has not survived is now used as the exhibition hall. In addition to its everyday work , the museum conducts academic programs, among them annual Nabokov Readings in April, summer school for students, international Nabokov conferences, as well as public lectures, seminars and literary readings.
Since 2008, when the Museum became part of the St.Petersburg State University, we not only significantly increased the collection but also started the long-awaited restoration of the rooms.